The Beginning of the End

It's been 15 years since I attended a college course. I never did quite finish my degree or college education. Instead of completing my studies, I moved to Europe, volunteered, and traveled for 3-1/2 years. I returned from Europe, married, and started a family.

Eventually, my desire to complete my degree as a Sign Language Interpreter come bubbling back to the surface of my heart. Today, 4 years after realizing I wanted to return and complete that degree, I started my first day of school.

I'm excited and eagerly looking forward to begin this long road to complete my education. It's going to be slow at first. Only one class a semester, while simultaneously caring for my children. Also finding ways outside of the classroom to regain my lost [ASL] language skills. I have a plan, and so far I am on track, with a few adjustments along the way.

My husband asked me recently, if time and money were not an object, what would I want to do with my life or my time? I looked at him and told him, "What I am doing right now. Going back to school and finish my degree so I can become an Interpreter."

It's been so long since I've been able to do something that excited me about my future. While staying home with my boys has been an experience and opportunity I am grateful for, there's a bit of me that feels like it got lost in the shuffle. Somewhere under the exhaustion, the diapers, the dishes, and the very long days, I felt like a shadow of my former self. Staying at home hasn't been bad. There's so much I have learned about myself and my kids that I think wouldn't have happened without these past couple of years.

But still, I have ever so longed for the "next" in my life. I have longed to do other things that would inspire me to grow and move forward in my life. And I feel like it's finally here! Even if it is in small incremenets.

So as this 2015-2016 school year gets off to its start- I wanted to add an additonal "First Day of School" picture to the countless presented online. I wanted to add my picture. I'm more than ready to join the ranks and continue to complete my "formal education."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lid

Well Said

PTSD: A 6 Month Update