Anywhere But Here


It’s one of those days. One of those days where I want to be anywhere but here.

I sit at my cluttered dining room table, with cartoons blaring in the background. I gaze around and take in the view.  Toys on the living room floor peppered with goldfish crumbs everywhere. A sink full of dishes and countertops to match the disarray.  Kids still in pajamas at 2pm and I am no worse for wear. I haven’t even brushed my hair today. To top it all off I have no desire to do anything to clean us all up. Nilch. None. Zero.  Instead I’ve spent the hours trying to keep fevers downs and the kids distracted. Despite their runny noses and overly warm foreheads they still have enough energy to power a small plant.

So I do what I do daily. Look up online ideas for activities. Wrestle the toddler out of the bathroom as he loudly protest being parted from the toilet bowl. Put his brother in time out for inappropriately protecting/hoarding his toys. Dig under the couches for lost toy cars. Check the clock every 30 minutes wondering how long I still have left in the day before Dad gets home. Wonder what in the world to cook dinner. Apply the 17th suggestion I read about to approach my strong willed child and gain compliance. Try to sit and actually play with the boys. Remember to include reading a book and playing word games. Feed us all lunch and lament that we still half a day to get through creatively.

Oh dear- this day is not getting off to an exciting start. And so I start in front of these keys wishing I was anywhere but here.  Wishing I had a pocket full of cash to take them on all sorts of adventures.  Wishing I was at a hair salon getting my hair done up. Wishing for a kid free shopping spree hoping to feel glamorous. Wishing even at moments that they were older and could be taken to an activity where I wouldn’t feel overwhelmed at corralling them on my own. Then I remember they’re sick anyway and we’d be right back where we started.

Here.

So… I’ll pick myself up. Dust myself off. Drink that second cup of coffee. Push through the apathy. Wash dishes. Create a way to engage and entertain the kids… cook and eat dinner. And then start all over again tomorrow. Hoping and praying … that I can remember to stay in the moment… and enjoy being here.
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lid

Well Said

PTSD: A 6 Month Update