The Blink of an Eye

The first thing I noticed was his eyes.  He was crying and I started speaking to him. He eyes turned to me and he stopped crying, immediately recognizing my voice.

What an amazing first contact with my newborn son that February morning.

Yet when he turned his eyes to me, one fleeting thought crossed my mind.  “This looks like a baby with Down Syndrome” the thought echoed.  Feeling horrible for even thinking this, I quickly pushed the thought away. I had never even seen an infant with Down syndrome before my son. Not knowingly anyway.

Yet four hours later, the doctor confirmed that my first fleeting thought wasn’t a fluke. In fact, somehow deep down inside, I had known immediately he had Down Syndrome.

Several hours later, as I looked and stared at him sleeping, I thought that the physical markers caused by his extra chromosome were so obvious, particularly when he was awake. As his almond shaped eyes opened, adjusting to the outside world, my heart sank deeper and deeper. His eyes were, for me, the most obvious confirmation of his diagnosis.

His karyotype testing wouldn't formally confirm the diagnosis for several days. But I knew it to be true. It was all in his eyes.



Then something happened the following days and weeks after that fateful day. My fears were replaced with relief and my feelings of loss were transformed into wonder and joy.

And those eyes- the ones I had trouble looking at without seeing a reflection of his diagnosis, became to me the most beautiful and dearest feature of his wonderfully formed body.

It’s been said that the eyes are the window to the soul. The longer he stared at me with his beautiful eyes, the more I learned about him. Without uttering a single word he seemed to be able to express volumes with his eyes and facial expression. His cries and noises took a backseat to his ability to communicate with his eyes. He would stare at me and seem to look right into to my soul through the windows in my own eyes.

Thanks to Facebook I've had the absolute privilege of seeing hundreds of beautiful boys and girls who share the same diagnosis, the same extra 21st chromosome, and the same almond shaped eyes as my son Alvaro. Now when I see those almond shaped eyes I don’t see a diagnosis. I don’t see despair. I don’t see a defect.

Instead I see joy. I see love. I see beautiful bright brushfield spots like rays emanating from the sun. Now when I see almond shaped eyes I see extraordinary and my heart squeezes with love and tenderness for those who have been gifted with those beautifully shaped eyes.


Now when I see the almond shaped eyes formed by an extra chromosome, I see my Alvaro. My surprise baby who stole my heart in the blink of an eye.

ALVARO

&

FRIENDS





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lid

Well Said

PTSD: A 6 Month Update