Simple Substitutes

Eating healthy: let's face it- its tough on a lot of levels. Most often than not, we know how to do it and what plan works best for us- but it's a lot of time and money. The better stuff is more expensive and eating healthy requires more preparation at times.

This becomes an even trickier subject when you try to get your kids to eat healthier. They know hwta they like- and its often not healthy.

I am not the first person to blog about this nor will I be the last. But I wanted to add my voice to share some quick, inexpensive, and healthier swaps that has worked for us. After all, it may help you find options and feel better about what they eat with a limited effort and impact to your pocket book.

Also, I have a picky eater. A very picky eater. His preferred foods to eat will usually hover in the chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, and juice box range. I can get him to eat rice and beans (yay!) and snack on fruits. But I offer veggies that usually go uneaten. I have also attempted to clean up my kids eating... only to throw away  plates of unconsumed food. Some things I tried and thought was great, my picky eater did not.

So I thought I'd list my top easy to do swaps that allow my kid to eat what he wants and removes the element of guilt (for me).  That way, when the only way to bribe him into his car seat is with that lollipop, I know he hasn't been consuming oodles of sugar already.

So without further adieu, these are my helpful household food swaps (that my picky eater didn't even notice!)

Peanut Butter and Jelly:  Great protein and yummy. But all that sugar!! So I found the following:

Teddie's Natural Peanut Butter: Ingredients: Roasted Peanuts and Salt.   That's it! No Sugar. I buy it at Walmart for less than $4 - which is the same price range for the competitor's Peanut Butter. They even have a chunky option.

Polaner All Fruit - Strawberry: Ingredients: Juice Concentrates (Pear, Grape, Pineapple), Strawberries, Citric Acid, Fruit Pectin, Natural Flavor.  Also no added sugar!  Its deliscious and sweet and natural. Its Non GMO Verified, no artificial colors or flavors either. I find this at Publix or Walmart next to the jelly section. A small jar is about $2.60 and a large one about $3.80.  Again, comparable with the sugar filled competitors.

I serve ours on wheat bread. I started wheat bread from the get go so my picky eater never noticed it being different from white bread (which he also eat on occasion).

 Pancakes and Syrup:

Syrup Substitute:  I started using Agave Nectar in place of syrup. While it is a bit more expensive (about $2-$3 more than regular artificial syrup) - it lasts longer because we don't need as much to have sweet syrup tasting pancakes. I made the swap expecting a reaction and got none. My picky eater truly didn't notice the difference! Also- I find the swap comparable in price because it takes 2x as long to get through the Agave than the sugar based syrups.

My boys love pancakes. So ... I went on the hunt for a healthy version and I found one that we stick with. This one does take a bit more work. But I often make a full batch (about 16 pancakes) and stick them in container in the fridge. Then I serve one pancake for each boy every day and that takes about 30 seconds to warm them up in the microwave.. so the prep time is worth it (for me).
So for pancakes I make this recipe for Applesauce Cinnamon Pancakes.
My boys never noticed the swap. And even my picky nieces and nephews enjoy them. This recipe uses applesauce in place of oil and whole wheat flour in place of regular flour. I also use coconut oil instead of butter. 

Cheese:  I grew up on processed cheese. Have you even seen one of those melt?  When I was in my early twenties I moved to Northern Ireland for a few years and ate REAL cheese. Real cheddar cheese, not the oil substitutes that are wrapped in plastic. When I returned to the USA and tried the plastic wrapped ones, I couldn't eat the anymore. They were cheaper but they tasted gross to me. So I started buying cheddar slices. While the processed cheese is $2 for 16 slices, the cheddar slices are usually $2.50 for 10 slices or 11. Give or take some change. You can buy a pack of 20 for about $4. They are slightly pricier than the single wrapped processed slices. But they are a yummier and better swap in my household.

Popcorn:  My kid LOVES popcorn. I read about how awful microwave popcorn was for us. But he was hooked on it for snacks and so was I. So with a little bit of effort - I microwave in a bag my own organic popcorn kernels, and its actually cheaper than the boxed stuff.  One pound of organic popcorn kernels costs about $5 or $4 in a whole foods store. I hear Winn Dixie sells organic kernels but haven't gotten around to hunting them down there. Our bag from the occasional trip to the whole foods store usually last 3-4 weeks.  Once purchased, I place in container in the pantry. I also buy a bag of brown paper lunch bags ($1 for 50). This can be found in the grocery store or dollar store, I melt 1 -2 tsp of coconut oil in a mug. I add 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels and coat the kernels with the oil. I then drop them in one of the paper brown bags. Roll the top down tightly 2-3 times. Cook for 2:30 minutes. Wham.. healthy, fresh, organic popcorn. It'll yield a medium mixing bowl's worth. Salt to your liking...and enjoy!

We don't have this healthy eating thing down. I do better for myself than the kids because I am willing to try new things and they are not, But, the above allows me more freedom of feeling like we're doing better a little bit at a time. I hope it may do the same for you!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lid

Well Said

The Pits