Celebration Time!

If I ever had a baby born with Down syndrome, it wouldn't matter to me. I would still love it just the same.

I said and thought this various times throughout the years. Especially when my husband and I wanted to start a family. I had taken the prescreening time sensitive test with my first son. The results were clear and I got billed $530. The second time around, I declined testing. There was no way I was going to pay $530 again for testing. It didn't matter anyway. I knew I wouldn't terminate regardless of results.    

Then my second son was born. Merely 4 hours after his birth, our pediatrician broke the news to us gently and privately. Our son had been born with Down syndrome. I was shocked. I knew it the moment I saw his precious face. In fact, it was the first fleeting thought I had when I first saw him. But the reality of that diagnosis shocked me to my core. 


I remembered those same words over the next coming days: If I ever had a baby born with Down syndrome, it wouldn't matter to me. I would still love it just the same. I had meant every word of it. But never in a million years did I expect God to take me at my word. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to have to put my money where my mouth was.

In all honesty, I believe that thinking on these words is what got me through the grieving phase of receiving this surprise diagnosis. I would feel scared and heartbroken. Then these words would come to mind and I would ask myself: Did you really mean it?  When I answered yes in my heart, I would hear a voice inside that said: then it’s time to put that to practice. Love your baby and do the best to love him as well as he deserves.


As I type these very words I have tears streaming down my face. These tears aren't from sorrow or from triggered memories. As I type this post I feel so proud of who my son is. I feel so excited that I have learned that his differences or obstacles pale in comparison to anything I thought I would face at this stage. My love for him is overwhelming. The love others have for him is even more overwhelming. My tears are joyful not sorrowful. There is a passage in the Bible, Psalm 30:11 to be specific, which says, “You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy.” That’s exactly how I feel at this point in my life. Clothed with joy when I think of my kids.

This Saturday, I along with over 47 friends and family will be participating in our local Buddy Walk. The Buddy Walk was created by the Down Syndrome Society in 1995 to celebrate Down Syndrome Awareness Month (which is in October) and to promote acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome. I am honored to be able to share the joy I have received by having Alvaro in my life. Not because he has Down syndrome. Not in spite of his extra chromosome.  But because he’s wonderful and loved. Because his extra chromosome doesn't define him. Because while Down syndrome is misunderstood by many, it doesn't have to be. My son is a living example that he’s perfect just the way he is. His value isn't measured by chromosomes and the joy he shares with those who love him so well is immeasurable. And to this Momma, that’s worth celebrating!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lid

Well Said

PTSD: A 6 Month Update