Navigating a System Overlaod

I’ll never forget the theme song for the cartoon The Jetsons. I watched this cartoon series faithfully as I grew up. “Meet George Jetson, His Boy Elroy, Daughter Judy, Jane… his wife,” the lyrics introduced the main characters. Not mentioned in the song was their faithful dog Astro, and Rosie the Robot, the family maid.

The 80s version cartoon I watched is just about 30 years old so specific episode details are a bit vague. But I remember that Rosie, atleast one on occasion, got overloaded. I don’t remember the exact details of the episode, but I do recall Rosie starts acting out of character and ended up with smoke coming out of her ears and is out of order.

I actually hadn’t thought about Rosie the Robot for years. Not until yesterday. My Monday started like any typical day. I woke up. Changed diapers. Dispensed milk into sippy cups while turning on the TV for the morning cartoon sessions. I made myself some breakfast and coffee. Long after the children had their breakfast, I finally sat down to enjoy mine.

Without any warning, The “To Do” List turned on in my brain. While the mental list was still uploading information, the “Christmas Shopping List” window of my brain also opened and started uploading information. Before those were done loading, The Budget Lists, Thanksgiving Lists, and 3 other pertinent lists popped up in my head. All of a sudden I was in planning / managing overload. Before I could finish my cup of coffee, I was sitting at my kitchen table almost hyperventilating about ALLTHETHINGSTHATNEEDTOGETDONE between now and next spring. 

I've gotten quite used to learning to “minimize” the windows that run constantly in the desktop of my brain. Yet occasionally, they all seem to open at one time. Without warning, I find myself reenacting a Rosie the Robot moment where I mentally go berserk and end up feeling overloaded with smoke coming out of my ears.

With some effort, I restrained the tears I wanted to give into. I took a deep breath, and I shifted my focus to that current day. I asked myself “What do I need to today?" I wrote a new list of things to do that only focused on Monday. Then I let go of all the rest. I let go of the worries. I stopped obsessing about the “How is it all going to get done?” questions.  I remembered that I don’t have to do this on my own. I can ask for help. I can receive help. And the unanswered questions can be left in God’s hands. I reminded myself that at the end of the day, it would all work out.

 If you’re like me, the holidays and end of the year season is wrought with as much stress as it is enjoyment. It’s filled with questions of how you’ll squeeze another spare dollar for the Christmas gift you forgot about, or how in the world you’ll have the house ready in time for visitors. All the usual busy activities of the everyday are now shoved into the corners to make rooms for parties and extra holiday events. When all you want to do is get an extra vacation day, you now have a list of dinners, potlucks, and programs to participate in.

So I propose a change for us planners this year. When we're  in danger of experiencing our next Rosie the Robot overload moment lets stop. Let's breathe. And let's refocus our energy to take things one day at a time. Taking things one day at a time won’t solve all our problems or answer our questions. But it may allow us to enjoy the day we are focusing on just a little more. And if nothing else, it may reduce the amount of smoke coming out of our ears. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lid

Well Said

PTSD: A 6 Month Update