Frump Girl


Frump Girl.  That’s what Toula called herself in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding.


Sadly, that about describes how I feel on my best day.  I know it’s temporary during this season of my life. But still, if you asked me how I feel these days, the answer is quick on my tongue: frumpy!


I remember so well that I felt the EXACT same way after giving birth to Joel. For weeks I walked around feeling frumpy. In fact, I gave myself a pep talk right before having Alvaro. I told myself I would make sure to do my hair every day. I would make sure I would not walk around the house in PJ’s. I’d shower daily. Heck- I may even wear makeup regularly! Anything to keep from feeling like that again.


So, while I get to shower daily and I don’t walk around the house in my PJ’s, that’s about as far as I’ve gotten.  My hair style has been reduced to a perpetual ponytail which I am so tired of looking at in the mirror.  (Tomorrow I will start wearing bangs!) Half my wardrobe is still comprised of maternity clothes. And I believe I wear make-up even LESS than before [as if that was possible!]


Sometimes when I am at the mall or a shop and I look around, I see so many lovely women. They wear stylish and fashionable clothes. They have shoes and accessories. Make up and great hair completes the ensemble. I see them and think to myself: "Man, I need to do that.”


Then I wake up ½ hour late cause I went to sleep at 1 am. I get the boy’s diaper bag ready, throw food together for lunches, get my clothes out of the dryer (my lazy form of ironing them), and barely have time to grab a cup of coffee and head out the door for work. The days of taking time on my hair, styling it just so, and wearing a knock-out outfit are definitely not on the agenda.  


To be quite honest, I don't know if I've ever had much of those days anyway. I’m not the trendy one in my family. Chances are if I have a GREAT outfit and GREAT accessories, my husband was a contributor to making sure I looked fabulous. And it’s not that I don’t care to. It’s just that I lack that “knack”.  I can know WHAT to put together and HOW to. I just…never do.  And I’ve come to accept that fact. It’s really ok.


But some days, like today, when all I feel is FRUMPY- I wish I did have that knack. I wish I had the time, the wardrobe, and the figure to “work it”…


Until then I guess I’ll have to settle for a ponytail and a smile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lid

Well Said

PTSD: A 6 Month Update