Farewell

It is with a heavy heart that I prepare for our day tomorrow. Though my heavy heart is nothing compared to the pain of one of my closest and dearest friends, Esther.

We were pregnant at the same time over 2 years ago. We gave birth to 2 beautiful and healthy baby boys. Their age difference is a mere 2 months. Elijah, her son, happens to be my Godson. Joel, my son, happens to be hers.

When I conceived again last year with Alvaro, I figured she wouldn’t be trailing far behind. Sure enough, on Christmas Day, she and her husband shared their happy news with us. Their 2nd child was also on the way.

What an unexpected round of events this year has turned out to bring.

February was the month my second son was born. His name is Alvaro. Shortly after he was born we received the surprising and shocking news that he was born with Trisomy 21, also known as Down syndrome.  What a rollercoaster of emotions and adjustments those first few weeks were.  Esther was there all along the way. Supporting, encouraging, giving space when she thought it was needed, reaching out when she thought it’d be best.

We've actually traveled over many rocky roads of life during our friendship these past, nearly 4 years that we have been friends.

Her sweet little Josiah, also her second son, was due in just 3 weeks. He and Alvaro would be 6 months apart.

In an unexpected and heartbreaking turn of events, Josiah departed the home he had lived in, inside Esther’s body, and went home to heaven to be with our Lord.

I cannot fathom or know the depths of pain and grief my sweet Esther is feeling. My heart breaks to see my friend go through such a heart wrenching loss. One that is felt by and shared by so many others.

Tomorrow is Josiah’s funeral.

I wanted to continue to say my own farewells to my little nephew. So I sit here typing on the keys, hoping somehow to commemorate not the life that would have been, but the life that was for 9 glorious months. His life brought joy, expectancy, excitement and love.

We shall miss him.


We shall also see him again someday, on the other side.


Comments

  1. Thank you so much for not only writing this but for reading it at my son's funeral. It meant the world to me to hear how my sweet son's short life impacted others and it still does. I love you my dear friend!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lid

Well Said

PTSD: A 6 Month Update